Sunday, June 13, 2010

Les Cafés et le Marais

Yesterday I was the happiest I’ve ever been to sleep in. I woke up late, took my time getting ready, then eventually made it to school to do some work. However, I was with the girls so we spent a lot of time giggling and surfing the web and didn’t get much done. Oh well. I did have a fantastic quiche champignon (mushroom) and of course another pain au chocolat (gotta get my daily fix). On the way home we stopped at a café for dinner and had cous cous. It was pretty much all the had. Vegetable cous cous, chicken cous cous…. I guess the French are really embracing the Moroccan cuisine. We also ordered some Bordeaux which wasn’t too bad. Although, I’m pretty happy with my 1 euro bottles of wine.

At night we went to visit a friend from school in the Marais district. Why couldn’t we live there? The area was gorgeous and the nightlife amazing. I couldn’t keep track of all of the cafés, pubs, and bars we passed. Oh, and the shopping. Apparently it’s the “East Village” of Paris and extremely difficult to get an apartment in. If I come back – no, WHEN I come back – I’m staying there.

We went to a British pub and I had some cider. We hung around and talked for a bit and then the city fatigue swept in and we were ready for bed. A couple stayed out, a couple of us went back. And once I got home around 1:00 and began to set my alarm for 6:00 a.m. for my castle tour, then begin to map out where I had to take the metro in the morning, I decided to give myself the opportunity to sleep in. I was disappointed I canceled my castle tour but then again, I’d prefer to go with someone anyway. Next time I’m in Paris, I guess. Then I wont have 5 days of class and 7 days of homework draining me.

So today I’m determined to do as much homework as I can so I can make the most of my last week in Paris. I want to go to Giverny (Monet’s house and gardens), a castle or two (Fontainbleu, Vieux le Vicomte), and of course, shopping. Maybe I’ll get to that last one today.

No comments:

Post a Comment