Wednesday, January 21, 2009

le pain et le vin

  The food here is not what I expected.  Out first meal was chicken wings and French fries (mind you, French fries are Belgian).  They might just be catering to Americans but today I had the same thing.  The dining hall is interesting too – you have to get there exactly when mealtime begins and you get your salad and they bring you your meal.  They serve you and clean away your dishes.  I’m not sure this method would work in America.

            So, needless to say the food is just alright so last night while we were hunting for some towels (I know, it took a long time for me to get that shower ) we stopped to eat at a café.  There’s a music festival here right now (Cannes, city of festivals) so there’s a lot of Americans around.  The waitress didn’t speak English though so we got to practice our French. Ironically, I got a pizza but it was still pretty good.  So were the wine and the crepe.  

            I saw the ocean for the first time.  Unfortunately it was dark and rainy so I didn’t make it on the shore.  But once we got back we got some more French wine and hung out with a group in the boys’ room.  Not a bad night.

            I had my first real French class today and it was better than I thought.  Taking things I already learned and learning then to perfection can’t hurt. And luckily my professor doesn’t fit into the French stereotype of an angry American hater.  The class is three hours every day with a fifteen minute break spent in the café drinking le chocolat chaud.  Not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment