Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cannes


And so it begins… I just got to Cannes after three days in London and I’m tired and dirty.  But since I’m in southern France at a university on the beach, I really shouldn’t complain.  I haven’t seen much of Cannes yet – everyone just rushed to their computers after having no technology for the past three days.  (Sorry Mom, I tried to call but it was too expensive.)

            I think Cannes will be better than London, despite the fact that I have to take classes here.  London is nice but it’s like an awkward limbo between America and classical Europe.  They speak English, although at times you have no clue what they’re saying.  They have the same customs, but there are little things that can offend them.  French culture is a little bit more foreign, but it’s also more obviously different.  I am nervous to speak French though.  I’m not sure why.  I guess it goes back to me not being confident in my ability to speak it, hence me being here to try to get fluent.  I have a placement test tomorrow though, so I guess if I’m “Intermediate” and not “Advanced” I’ll get over it.  I’m praying the classes in Paris are a joke (I’ve heard rumors that go both ways.)

            Oh well.  For now I’ll just focus on finding a towel, which was not supplied for us in the dorm.  Although, the room is a lot bigger than I thought it would be. Considering how small our hotel room was, the dorm room looks very similar to an American one.  The closet is a little smaller and I still don’t know where to put my suitcase but those are minor details (I’m really sporting the optimism this trip).  The college is very European – a big open courtyard surrounded by fancy walls.  Unfortunately the boys got the big rooms with the balconies. 

            Anyway, it’ll take some adjusting but I think I’m doing okay with it, especially since I’m so busy.  I really miss my family and my boyfriend and little American luxuries, but I knew all that going into it.  For now, I’ll just try to find my towel and hope that’s my biggest obstacle 

No comments:

Post a Comment